(The following information was supplied by the firm)
Tokyo Bar Association; Japan Federation of Bar Associations (1997)
American Bar Association (2004)
Location ： Tokyo Office
Norihiro Sekiguchi is a partner at Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners, with a broad experience in the area of M&A. He has handled domestic and cross-border M&As representing non-Japanese acquirers in various jurisdictions. The types of transactions in which he has been involved cover tender offers, mergers, stock swaps, asset or business acquisitions, management buyouts and various types of private equity investments. He has extensive experiences in corporate governance and disputes including corporate lawsuits, exercising shareholders rights, and disputes regarding corporate control. He is also familiar with securities regulations and corporate compliance. He has experiences in forensic investigation of listed companies as a chairman or leading investigator of independent committees. He has advised on litigations and dispute resolution matters regarding corporate or labor law issues, M&As, and commercial transactions for both domestic and international cases.
Mr. Sekiguchi was formerly a partner at the Tokyo office of Baker & McKenzie from 2006 to 2014. He worked at Baker & McKenzie’s Chicago office from 2003 to 2004. He received the “Technology, Media, and Telecommunications Deal of the Year” award at the 2010 ALB Japan Law Awards. He has authored various publications, including the best-selling TOB Handbook and has given lectures on a variety of topics related to corporate and securities law. He has also been teaching M&A law and practice since 2008 as a lecturer at the Chuo University Business School.
Major Cases Handled
– Represented Seagate Technology Holdings plc in relation to its acquisition of Toshiba Memory Corporation.
– Advised CTBC Financial Holding Company Ltd. in relation to its acquisition of Tokyo Star Bank (this matter was the first-ever acquisition of a Japanese local commercial bank by a non-Japanese commercial bank).
– Advised SPARX Capital Partners in relation to the exercise of its shareholder’s rights against PENTAX Corporation with respect to PENTAX’s decision regarding a potential merger with HOYA.
– Member of the Third-party committee of Japan Display Inc in relation to accounting scandals.
– Acted as Secretary General of the Executive Liability Investigation Committee of TOSHIBA, to lead and organize all investigations, in relation to accounting scandals.
– Forensic investigation of circular transactions by Geo Corp. and its subsidiaries.
Education & Professional Experience
Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners, Partner
Baker & McKenzie (Tokyo), Partner
Baker & McKenzie (Tokyo), Senior Associate
Baker & McKenzie LLP (Chicago), Associate
University of Virginia School of Law (LL.M.)
Baker & McKenzie (Tokyo), Associate
Inami, Ohta & Shibasaki, Associate
Waseda University (LL.B.)
Member of the disciplinary enforcement committee of the Japan Federation of Bar Associations
Examiner for the Bar Examinations (Corporate Law)
Acted as member of the Japan Federation of Bar Associations supporting small and medium enterprises to expand their businesses overseas
Member of the International Committee, the Tokyo Bar Association
Representative of the Tokyo Bar Association
Lecturer at the Chuo University Business School
Member of the Corporation Law Committee, the Tokyo Bar Association