José Miguel Bustamante
(The following information was supplied by the firm)
Partner of Carey and co-head of the firm’s Energy Group. His practice focuses on energy regulatory matters and various types of energy projects, including contracts for electricity, liquid fuels, natural gas, NCRE accreditations, use of transmission systems, gas transportation, engineering and construction of infrastructure projects, property and land use permits, environmental matters and litigation related to regulatory matters of the energy industry, and civil law.
- Pattern Energy on all matters related to project development and energy commercialization.
- Codelco on PPAs with: (i) Norgener to supply Ministro Hales and Radomiro Tomic mining divisions with 200MW; (ii) with Engie to supply Chuquicamata and Minera Gaby.
- Codelco on the negotiation of: (i) natural gas supply agreements with GasValpo and Endesa for El Teniente, Ventanas, Chuquicamata and Radomiro Tomic mining divisions; and (ii) liquid fuel supply agreements with Shell, Petrobras and Terpel for USD380 million per year.
- Kinross on a PPA with Guacolda to supply Mantos de Oro and Maricunga mines with 34MW.
- SunEdison on the negotiation of a PPA, interconnection agreement and related contracts with CAP to connect a PV solar power project of 100MW of installed capacity.
- Acciona Energía on the sale of energy to Colbún, generated by Punta Palmeras wind farm, which has an installed capacity of 47MW.
- Proyectos Ecosolar Chile and Danish Climate Investment Facility (DCIF) on the acquisition of two photovoltaic projects of 3MW each.
- Rijn Capital on the permits obtention and on the negotiation of interconnection contracts for the development of a project in Chile.
- Terna on a tender process carried out by Enel Green Power for the construction of a transmission line of 220Kv to evacuate the energy of the first Geothermal project in Chile.
- The Ministry of Energy and various stakeholders on different bills and CDEC-SING regarding its role and responsibilities.
- Minera Sierra Gorda on negotiations for the use of transmission facilities and litigation matters.
- CBRE Chile on the tender process for the supply of energy to 40 commercial buildings under the management of CBRE Chile.
- Fotowatio Renewable Ventures on public tenders for the sale of electric power and on the development of its generation plants.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Recognized in Energy & Natural Resources, Chambers Latin America.
- Recognized in Energy and Natural Resources, Best Lawyers.
- Recognized in Project Development, IFLR1000.
- Recognized in Energy and Natural Resources: Electricity, Oil and Gas, The Legal 500.
- Recognized in Energy, Who’s Who Legal.
- Recognized in Energy, Latin Lawyer 250.
- Recognized in Energy, LACCA.
ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Co-writer of the SIC-SING interconnection bill approved as the Law N° 20,726 (2013).
- Member of the writing committee of the Public Electric Highway, presented to the Congress by president Sebastián Piñera (2012).
- Member of the Energy Ministry’s writing committee for the NCRE bill (Law N° 20,698) (2010).
- Lawyer, GasAtacama, in the development and implementation of the legal strategies for several electricity and gas projects; in the negotiation and extension of electric supply and gas supply contracts, in its transportation, in industrial construction contracts; in the proceeding and obtention of electric, mining and gas transportation concessions, and in litigation for easement of access, and in project finance (1999-2007).
- Member of the Chilean Bar Association.
- Co-author of Electricity Projects & Regulations, Latin Lawyer (2016-2017).
- Infrastructure and Project Development
- Law, Universidad Diego Portales.
- Degree in Administrative Economic Law: Competitive and Regulated Markets, Universidad Católica de Chile (2006).
- Chile (1999).