José Tomás Hurley
(The following information was supplied by the firm)
His professional practice is focused on mining and energy law, particularly in the development of mining, energy and infrastructure projects, negotiation of energy supply and transmission contracts, NCRE accreditations, regulatory matters, and natural resources transactions.
- Daelim Energy on the due diligence and acquisition of a 12 PV power project pipeline totaling 125 MWp from Grenergy Renovables, which also included the negotiation and execution of certain EPC, O&M and AM contracts with Grenergy Renovables Pacific.
- Sojitz Corporation on the acquisition of the PV Power Project “Huatacondo” of up to 98MW of capacity, owned by Austrian Solar.
- Codelco on the negotiation and renegotiation of three different PPAs with ENGIE required to secure the energy supply of the mining operations of Codelco’s northern district.
- Codelco on the tender process and negotiation of the gas supply agreement with ENEL required to secure the gas supply of Codelco’s Chuquicamata and Radomiro Tomic divisions.
- Sempra/Chilquinta on the due diligence and acquisition of Compañía Transmisora del Norte Grande, owned by AES Gener and its subsidiary Eléctrica Angamos, for USD219 million, consisting of 316 kms of transmission lines located in the regions of Antofagasta, Valparaíso and Metropolitana.
- Total and SunPower Corporation on the negotiation of PPA to supply 500 GWh to Colbún. The PPA enabled the financing and construction of the Santa Isabel PV Project of 190MW.
- SunPower Corporation on the negotiation of a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) to supply 60% of the energy demand to Metro, the state-owned company that operates Santiago’s subway. The PPA backed the financing and construction of the PV power project El Pelícano of up to 98MW.
- Sierra Gorda, a mining company owned by KGHM and Sumitomo, on several regulatory and commercial matters related to the supply and transport of energy to the mining facilities.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Recognized in Energy and Natural Resources: Electricity, Oil and Gas, The Legal 500.
- Finalist in Energy, Leading Lawyers, Idealis (2016).
- Best Pro Bono Coordinator Award, Fundación Pro Bono (2012).
ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Foreign Associate, Corrs Chambers Westgarth, Sydney (2015).
- Member of the Sustainability Committee of Chile-Australia Chamber of Commerce (2010-2012).
- Law Clerk of the Natural Resources, Energy and Environment Group, Carey (2005-2008).
- Co-author of case note on Warkworth Mining Limited v/s Bulga Milbrodale Progress Association Inc, Local Government Law Journal (2015).
- Co-author of the chapter about Regulated Industries: Mining, Doing Business in Chile, 2nd Edition, British Chilean Chamber (2013).
- Co-author of “Lithium Industry & the Chilean Case”, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (2011).
- Co-speaker “Main Aspects of the Legal Mining Easement” at the XIV Congress of Mining Law (2012).
- Law, Universidad Católica de Chile (Summa Cum Laude).
- Exchange student, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia (2007).
- LL.M. in Environmental Law, University of Sydney (Beca Chile) (2014).
- Chile (2010).