The Italian supervisory authority has ordered OpenAI, the US-based developer of the popular ChatGPT platform, to immediately suspend processing of personal data of its Italian users. The decision is temporary and will stay in place until OpenAI ensures compliance with data protection rules.
Among the reasons for the suspension order, the supervisory authority cited:
- Failure to provide any information to data subjects whose personal data are being processed;
- absence of a legal basis for the processing of personal data;
- processing of inaccurate personal data;
- lack of verification of users’ age; and
- absence of response filters for users aged under 13.
OpenAI faces a fine of up to EUR 20 million or up to 4% of its total worldwide annual turnover for the previous fiscal year for non-implementation of the ordered measures.